Table of Contents Index Trinity Home Page


Central Receiving
Convenience Copy Center
Equipment Purchases and Sales
P-Card Policies and Procedures
Purchasing Policy and Procedures
University Surplus Property

<<< Previous Page


Contents of this page:

A.  Purpose
B.  Definitions
C.  Receiving the P-Card
D.  Authorized Card Use
E.  Using the P-Card
F.  Using the P-Card for Travel
G.  Non-Departmental Account Charges
H.  Merchandise Returns and Exchanges
I.   Record Retention
J.  Cardholder Verification of Charges
K. Cardholder Charge Dispute Resolution
L.  Audit of Cardholder Transactions
M. P-Card Security
N.  Lost, Stolen or Damaged Card
O.  Cardholder Separation from the University
P.   P-Card Cancellation


The P-Card program has been established to provide a convenient means with which to make purchases and at the same time reduce the costs associated with initiating and paying for these purchases.  The Purchasing Office is responsible for managing the program and each academic department or administrative office is responsible for managing its cardholder accounts.  Other forms of payment including invoice billing, check requests and petty cash transactions should be used only when payment by a P-Card is not accepted by the vendor.  The University has partnered with JP Morgan Chase Bank to issue the purchasing card and with Paymentnet, a subsidiary of Chase Bank, for web site maintenance.


Receiving the P-Card

Each prospective cardholder must complete a Trinity University P-Card Application, signed by the department/office chair or director and their vice-president.  All prospective cardholders must attend a policy and procedure session prior to receiving the P-Card.

Authorized Card Use

Cardholders are authorized to use the P-Card to purchase merchandise or services and for travel related expenses required as a function of their duties at the University.  A cash advance feature is not an option with the P-Card.

The P-Card must never be used to purchase items for personal use or for non-University purposes even if the cardholder intends to reimburse the University.

A cardholder who makes unauthorized purchases with the P-Card or uses the card in an inappropriate manner will be subject to disciplinary action by the University.

Using the P-Card

When making a P-Card transaction a card holder should check as many sources as reasonable to assure best price, quality, and delivery.

Confirm the vendor accepts Visa, if not, choose another vendor or process a departmental purchase order ensuring University purchasing policies and procedures are followed.

When making a purchase in person, make sure the merchandise total does not exceed $1,000.00 or the purchase will be declined at the point of sale.  Inform the salesperson that Trinity University is tax-exempt.  Keep all receipts for month-end reconciliation.  Receipts must contain relevant details for each item purchased including quantities, description of the items(s) purchased, the price of each item, total charge amount and the vendor's name.

When making a purchase by phone or fax, the vendor will request your Visa account number and expiration date (some vendors may require you to give them the three-digit security code number located on the back of the card).  Request that the vendor mail, or include with the order, a paid invoice/receipt for your documentation.

When making a purchase via the internet, you will need to document the items(s) purchased and the final cost.  You may print the screen at the end of the transaction or if the vendor sends you a detailed confirmation email you may use it in lieu of a receipt or invoice for documentation purposes.

It is the cardholder's responsibility to ensure he/she has a receipt or paid invoice for each transaction on his/her P-Card.

Cardholders must instruct the vendor to ship the merchandise to Central Receiving.  Central Receiving will accept delivery but the cardholder or his/her designee is responsible for inspecting all packages to determine if the order is correct and bring any discrepancies to the attention of the vendor.  The ship to address is as follows:

              Trinity University
              Central Receiving
              607 Kings Court
              San Antonio, TX 78212

 Using the P-Card for Travel

Cardholders may use the P-Card for travel related expenses including airfare, registration, car rental and hotel expenses but all University travel policies must be adhered to.

Upon completion of a trip, list all expenses on the University Reimbursement envelope (as required by University travel policy) including expenses made with the P-Card.  Keep the P-Card receipts with your documentation envelope and only include the out of pocket receipts in the travel reimbursement envelope that is sent to the Business Office.

For proper accounting purposes, notify the program administrator of any travel transactions that post to your account in the current fiscal year but the travel begins or ends in the new fiscal year.

The cardholder or designee must change the object code to the travel  object code (54300) before month-end close.

Non-Departmental Account Charges

If transactions are to be charged to another department's University budget account, the cardholder must obtain permission from that department's head before incurring the charge.

When using the P-Card for employment recruitment expenses (airfare, hotel, entertainment, etc.) Human Resources (staff) or Academic Affairs (faculty) must be notified.


Merchandise Returns and Exchanges

The cardholder is responsible for contacting the vendor when merchandise purchased with the P-Card is not acceptable (incorrect, damaged, defective, etc.) and arrange a return for credit or exchange.

The cardholder is responsible for obtaining a credit receipt from the vendor for merchandise returned or exchanged and retaining the receipt with the support documentation for that purchase.  Receiving cash or check to resolve a credit is not allowed.

The cardholder is responsible for making arrangements to return merchandise to the vendor for exchange and obtain the replacement.  Documentation supporting the proper resolution of the exchange is to be retained with the original documentation for the purchase.

Record Retention

The cardholder is responsible for obtaining documentation from the vendor (paid invoices, receipts, detailed emails, etc.) to support all purchases made with the P-Card.

It is highly recommended that the cardholder record the details of each purchase in a transaction log.

Signed documentation envelopes are kept in the department/office until the end of the current fiscal year.

Cardholders (or designee) obligations;

Department chair/office director and vice-president's (or designee) obligations;

Cardholder Verification of Charges

Cardholders are accountable for all charges made with their P-Card and are responsible for checking all transactions against the corresponding documentation (sales receipt, packing lists, order forms, etc.) to verify accuracy and propriety.  On-line reconciliation must be made at least once a week and before month-end close.

Verification of charges and changes to account number or object code must be made by the cardholder or designee before Paymentnet month-end close.  Usually, Paymentnet month-end close is on the second workday of the new month except in January and June.  Cardholders will be notified via email in the event a close is to be delayed.

Changes not made before Paymentnet month-end close require a journal entry to make the correction to the department's University budget.  To request a journal entry, email a request to the Purchasing Office with the following information:  Post date, vendor, amount, account number and object code to be credited and account number and object code of account to be debited.  A $10.00 fee is assessed and charged to the requesting department/office budget.

If a credit does not appear on your P-Card account within sixty (60) days after issuance of credit by the vendor, the cardholder must notify the Purchasing Office.

If a charge is disputed, the nature of the dispute and final resolution must be documented.

Cardholder Charge Dispute Resolution

In the case of a disputed charge, the cardholder must try to resolve the dispute directly with the vendor.  If a resolution cannot be reached, the cardholder can file a dispute by filling out a Dispute Form (on-line in Paymentnet).  The dispute form must be processed within sixty (60) days from the transaction post date.

Audit of Cardholder Transactions

On a random basis, the contract administrator or the internal auditor may perform an audit of a cardholder's records to ensure proper procedures are being followed.

P-Card Security

It is the cardholder's responsibility to safeguard the P-Card and card account number at all times.

Cardholder's must not allow non-university or unauthorized personnel to use their P-Card or account number.

Lost, Stolen or Damaged Card

If a P-Card is lost or stolen, notify Paymentnet immediately at 1-800--270-7760.  Representatives are available 24/7.

Cardholder's must also notify the contract administrator the same day or the next workday if the loss is during non-working hours.

The cardholder will receive a replacement card (with a new Visa account number) within three (3) working days.

A P-Card found after being reported lost or stolen must be cut in half and forward to the contract administrator.

Cardholder Separation from the University

Prior to separation from the University, the cardholder must surrender the P-Card and any documentation envelopes accumulated to date to the contract administrator.

P-Card Cancellation

The P-Card may be cancelled at the request of the cardholder, chair, or an administrative officer of the University.

Next Page >>>

Table of Contents Index Trinity Home Page




For further information, please call (210) 999-7306, or write to:

Trinity University
Office of Finance & Administration
One Trinity Place
San Antonio, TX   78212-7200

This page is provided to you for informational purposes.   Trinity University does not assume liability for omissions, typographical errors, or policy changes that are not updated immediately on this or other official university web pages.

This page was last modified on June 25, 2012.