Draft due to Rachel by midnight September 19
Paper due to Dr. Bachrach at the start of class on September
- How did the Prime Meridian get established?
- How did railroads operate prior to the establishment of
uniform time zones?
- The evolving international date line
- History of the calendar
- Calendar systems of non-western civilizations
- Alternate time/calendar systems, such as the one used during
the French Revolutiomn
- History of very accurate time measuring devices
- How do we measure very ancient times?
- Origin/history of daylight savings time
- Why did the USA recently alter the operational dates of daylight savings time?
- The reaction to Einsteinís theory of special relativity
- The reaction to Einsteinís theory of general relativity
- Experimental support for the theory of special relativity
- Experimental support for the theory of general relativity
- Theories of time travel (NOT science fiction accounts of
- The impact of the Michelson-Morley experiment
- Current ideas of the expanding vs
- Current ideas of the curvature of the universe
- The relationship between time and longitude measurement
- Theories of faster-than-light travel (again NOT science
fiction accounts of fast travel)
- Others? - You are encouraged to come
up with your own topic but clear it with
Dr. Bachrach first