The Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is offered jointly between the Departments of Chemistry and Biology, and meets the needs of students preparing for graduate studies at the interface of chemistry and biology. This program meets the standards set by the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology to train biochemists and molecular biologists for industry and graduate programs in these fields. Course offerings in this program are balanced between Chemistry and Biology, whereas the B.S. in Biochemistry coursework is primarily in Chemistry.
I. Departmental Requirements
A. At least 50 credits in chemistry and biology, distributed as follows:
- Core Courses. BIOL-1311, BIOL-1111, BIOL-2312, BIOL-2112, BIOL-3313, BIOL-3113, BIOL-3474, CHEM-1311, CHEM-1312, CHEM-1112, CHEM-2319, CHEM-2119, CHEM-2320, CHEM-2120, CHEM-3330, CHEM-3130, CHEM-3231, CHEM-3334, and CHEM-4340; BIOL-3000 or CHEM-3000 (1 semester).
- Advanced Electives. Two courses chosen from the following list (representing two different departments): BIOL-3450, BIOL-3458, BIOL-3464, BIOL-3465, BIOL-3466, CHEM-3321, CHEM-3335, CHEM-3432, CHEM-4346, CHEM-4347, CHEM-4360, PHYS-3311.
II. University Requirements
Completion of all other required elements of the Pathways curriculum and at least 120 credit hours.
How to apply
Full acceptance is granted if the following requirements are met at the time of application:
- Completion of CHEM-1311, CHEM-1312, CHEM-1112, CHEM-2319, CHEM-2119 and BIOL-1311, BIOL-1111, BIOL-2312, BIOL-2112 with grades of C or better.
- Completion of MATH-1311 with a grade of C or better.
- A grade point average of at least 2.0 on all other university work.
Provisional acceptance may be granted if it is apparent that an applicant can meet the requirements for full acceptance by the end of the semester in which application is made. A BCMB major may not minor in either Biology or Chemistry.
Students may undertake honors under the direction of faculty in either the Biology or Chemistry Departments. The procedures and requirements will be determined by the department affiliation of the research mentor. These are described in the Biology and Chemistry sections of this bulletin.