I. Departmental requirements:
A. The Human Communication major consists of 30 credit hours to be taken as follows:
1. Required core consists of 15 credit hours.
- Within Human Communication (12 credit hours):
Course ID Course Description HCOM 1300 Theories of Human Communication HCOM 2304 Interpersonal Communication HCOM 2304 Persuasion HCOM 2304 Rhetorical Criticism (also listed as ENGL 3334)
- Select one of the following in quantitative research methods:
Course ID Course Description HCOM 3354 Quantitative Research Methods (also listed as COMM 3354) BAT 2301 Statistics for Management and Economics MATH 1320 Statistical Methods PSYC 2422 Statistics and Methods I SOCI 3460 Research Methods: Social Statistics
2. Controlled electives consist of 9 credit hours. At least 3 credit hours must be chosen from each of the following areas:
- Public Communication:
Course ID Course Description HCOM 1333 Public Speaking HCOM 2140 Forensics HCOM 3374 International Communication (also listed as COMM 3322) HCOM 4350 Political Communication (also listed as PLSI 3304) HCOM 4391 Special Topics in Public Communication
- Rhetorical and Communication Theory:
Course ID Course Description HCOM 2350 Classical Rhetorical Theory HCOM 2352 Modern Rhetorical Theory HCOM 3330 Argumentation HCOM 3352 Rhetorical Analysis (also listed as ENGL 3335)
- Communication and Social Context:
Course ID Course Description HCOM 3360 Communicating in Small Groups and Teams HCOM 3362 Organizational Communication (also listed as BUSN 3311) HCOM 3364 Communication and Effective Leadership HCOM 3372 Intercultural Communication
3. General Human Communication Electives consist of at least 6 more hours of Human Communication courses to achieve greater focus in the major.
B. At least 18 hours of the Human Communication major must be upper-division coursework.
II. University requirements:
Completion of all other required elements of the Pathways curriculum and at least 120 credit hours.
I. University Requirements
Completion of all university requirements.
II. Departmental Requirements
The Department of Human Communication and Theatre offers a major Honors Program in both Human Communication and Theatre. A description of the program is available in the departmental office.