The major in art integrates technical and formal art training to foster students' creative potential and desire for self-expression. This program offers an understanding of the vital importance of visual culture in human expression.
- State-of-the-art facilities include spacious studios equipped for work with wood, plaster, clay, film and digital photography, printmaking, drawing, and painting media.
- The Michael and Noémi Neidorff Art Gallery hosts a dynamic program of art exhibitions and events. It also offers students opportunities for showing their work and for gaining hands-on experience in professional art gallery practices.
- The Stieren Arts Enrichment Series brings distinguished artists, art historians, and scholars to campus.
- Art students benefit from robust internship programs with San Antonio’s many museums, galleries, and creative businesses.
What You'll Study
Master foundational skills, hone critical thinking, and explore diverse art-making processes
Faculty artists mentor students’ artistic growth and development
Art faculty are accomplished, exhibiting artists who work closely with students to mentor them as they embark on their own creative journeys
Hands-on professional experience in creative fields and art institutions
The combined resources of equipped studios for multiple disciplines and a professional art gallery offer students hands-on experience putting theory into practice.
When You Graduate
Prepared for creative careers
Students refine their critical and creative thinking skills with the art major. Dedicated research, practice, and evaluation within a vibrant community of artists prepares students for graduate studies, professional careers, and enriched engagement with the arts.
Art and art history alumni have pursued careers in creating, teaching, and managing art, studio art, teaching, and research, and many have enjoyed successful careers in cultural and historical organizations. They also pursue graduate work in top M.F.A. and Ph.D. programs throughout the country.
Graduate Schools or Programs:
- School of Visual Arts, New York
- University of Texas at Austin
- Washington University
- Fine arts
- Museums and galleries
Take the next step
Have more questions or want more information? Learn more about becoming a Tiger, and how you can accelerate what’s next for your education.