I. Departmental Requirements
The Sociology major consists of 33 credit hours to be taken as follows:
- At least one lower division SOCI course.
- Required courses: SOCI-2435 and SOCI-3359.
- At least one of the following courses: SOCI-3460, SOCI-3465, or SOCI-3461.
- At least 24 hours must be in upper division sociology courses chosen in consultation with the adviser. At least 27 hours of the 33 hours required for the Sociology major must be completed in residence at Trinity University. SOCI-2435, SOCI-3359, and SOCI-3460 or SOCI-3461 or SOCI-3465 must be completed in residence at Trinity University.
Students in one of the two disciplines who choose to double major in the other may have no more than nine hours of overlap between the two disciplines.
II. University Requirements
Completion of all other required elements of the Pathways curriculum and at least 120 credit hours.
Requirements for graduating with major honors
Students will be eligible to graduate with Major Honors if they have fulfilled all the following requirements:
- maintained at least a 3.33 overall grade point average at Trinity;
- maintained at least a 3.5 grade point average in their major in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology;
- completed a Senior Thesis over the course of two semesters, enrolling in and successfully completing ANTH-4395 or SOCI-4395 in two consecutive semesters prior to graduation.,
- made an oral presentation of the Senior Thesis to the members of their Thesis Committee and the Chairperson of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology; and
- been unanimously recommended for graduation with Major Honors by the Thesis Committee and the Chairperson of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology.
To be considered for graduation with Major Honors, students should address a written request for consideration to the chairperson of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology no later than the end of the first full week of their penultimate semester at Trinity.
Jennifer P. Mathews, Ph.D. (Chair)
From the Department of Sociology and Anthropology.
We're here to help!
Our team of expert academic advisers are ready to provide guidance and support.