Undergraduate students who submit an enrollment deposit by May 1 may request an enrollment deferral or gap year by June 1. Deferral requests should be submitted in writing to email@example.com and approved by the Office of Admission. First-year students are allowed to apply for deferred enrollment; however, this option is not available to transfers.
Deferred Enrollment Details
- First-year students admitted under Early Decision, Early Action, or Regular Decision are eligible for deferral requests; students admitted from the wait list are not typically approved for deferral.
- Deferrals are granted for one year and for fall entry only. Two years may be granted in special circumstances, such as national military or religious service.
- Trinity will provide written notification of deferral approval or refusal. If the deferral is granted, first-year students must submit a non-refundable enrollment deposit of $500 to reserve her or his place in the class and residential hall. Requests for deferral should be made no later than May 1.
Terms for Approved Deferrals
- The student may not submit deposits or hold spaces at any other institutions.
- The student may not enroll on a full-time basis at another institution during the deferral period. Students who intend to matriculate full-time at another institution but desire to eventually enroll at Trinity must apply for transfer admission for a future term.
- The student may not apply for admission to other colleges or universities during the deferral period.
- The student must notify all other institutions to which they have gained admission of their decision to defer enrollment at Trinity.
- The student is required to reconfirm their intention to enroll for Fall 2022 no later than February 1, 2022 and Fall 2023 no later than February 1, 2023. Instructions on how to reconfirm will be sent via e-mail during the month prior to the deadline.
If a deferral is approved…
Financial aid: If you are interested in need-based financial aid, you will need to reapply for aid for the new term by completing the FAFSA and CSS Profile by February 15 during your deferral year.
Merit scholarships: If you received an academic merit scholarship, your award will also be deferred to the future entry term. If you did not receive a merit scholarship, you will not be reconsidered for awards in the next term alongside the new applicant pool.