Responsible Friend Policy

Intoxication can be life threatening. Depending on the amount of alcohol consumed, loss of consciousness could lead to a coma and/or death. If your intuition tells you that your friend is in danger, get help immediately.

If you have any concerns or doubts when on campus, ask for help from a Residential Life staff member or call the Trinity University Police Department at 210-999-7000. Otherwise, call 911.


  Calling TUPD for Alcohol Safety is Not Penalized.

When a student contacts University officials or other helping professionals out of concern for another student's health and safety, none of the students present (including the intoxicated student) will be considered for alcohol policy violations for that specific incident.



  If the person is passed out or asleep:

  1. Get a sober friend to help you if you are intoxicated.

  2. Assess for alcohol poisoning. Call TUPD (210-999-7000) if on campus or 911 if off campus if your friend exhibits any of the following signs:
  • They are unconscious or semiconscious
  • They have cold, clammy, bluish or unusually pale skin
  • They are breathing slowly (fewer than 8 times per minute)
  • They are breathing irregularly (10 or more seconds pass between breaths)
  • They vomit and do not awaken
  1. Stay with your friend and continue to monitor these signs because their intoxication level will rise if additional alcohol is being absorbed into the bloodstream.

  2. Position your friend on their side or stomach so they will not choke if they vomit (check out a 60-second YouTube video demonstrating the Bacchus Maneuver).


  If the person is conscious:

  1. Get a sober friend to help you if you are intoxicated.

  2. Speak to your intoxicated friend calmly and in a caring manner.

  3. Protect them from injury, preferably by firmly guiding your friend to be still and comfortable.

  4. Allow your friend to sleep. Remember that their intoxication level will rise if additional alcohol is being absorbed into the bloodstream.

  5. Take it seriously if your friend expresses suicidal thoughts. People are more likely to act on suicidal feelings when intoxicated because their inhibitions and judgment are impaired. If on campus, call TUPD (210-999-7000), who can contact the on-call counselor. If off campus, call 911.

  6. If your friend becomes aggressive or violent, get help from the police.

  7. Don't let your friend drive, bike, or go anywhere alone.

  8. Don't give your friend food, drink, or medication; it could induce vomiting or choking.

  9. Don't attempt to sober them up. Don't give them a cold shower (the shock may cause them to fall or pass out and become injured). Don't walk or exercise them. Only the passage of time (i.e., the detoxification action of the liver) will sober up an intoxicated person.




Responsible Decision Making 

Trinity University promotes a coordinated and comprehensive alcohol education program that is rooted in harm-reduction models and emphasizes health, safety, education, responsible decision-making, respectful actions, and personal accountability.

Trinity University's policies and practices were formed in accordance with state law and for the protection of the health and safety of students. 

Check out Trinity's Alcohol and Drug Policies

Alcohol Policy   Drugs Policy   Safer Parties Initiative

Group of students with goggles on finding things on a table at an Alcohol Awareness Spring Break event



Support for Students Struggling with Alcohol and Drug Use

Both on campus and around San Antonio, there are many opportunities for you to get support and help with addiction problems.

Seek Support on Campus

If you would like to get help with drinking problems or drug addiction at Trinity, please consider scheduling an appointment with Counseling Services or with the Dean of Students.

Get Help Off-Campus

A.A. organizes and offers support and help groups around San Antonio, including ones tailored specifically to understand and meet the needs of young people and/or members of the LGBTQ community.

  24-Hour Hotline: 210-828-6235

 24-Hour Spanish Hotline: 210-409-8524

  Main Office: 210-821-6325

Search all A.A. Meetings in San Antonio

Meet with a Support Group for Those Affected by Another’s Alcoholism

Al-Anon is a group that offers help and hope to friends and families of alcoholics, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not.

Visit the Al-Anon San Antonio Website


Biennial Alcohol and Other Drugs Report

Trinity University is required by law to complete a biennial report of the university alcohol and other drug prevention programs every other year.

Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act

The Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act requires that each institution distribute the following in writing to all students and employees annually:

  • Standards of conduct that clearly prohibit, at a minimum, the unlawful possession, use or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on its property or as part of any of its activities

    Standards of Conduct

  • A description of the applicable legal sanctions under local, State or Federal law for the unlawful possession or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol

    Alcohol Policy

    Legal Implications of Alcohol and Drug Use (PDF)

  • A description of the health risks associated with the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol

    Health Risks

  • A description of any drug or alcohol counseling, treatment, or rehabilitation or re-entry programs that are available to employees or students

    Counseling Services

    Online Resources

  • A clear statement that the institution will impose disciplinary sanctions on students and employees (consistent with local, State and Federal law), and a description of those sanctions, up to and including expulsion or termination of employment and referral for prosecution, for violations of the standards of conduct 

    View Student Sanctions