Service and Learning
Community-based federal work study (CFWS) provides student employment opportunities at local nonprofits, schools, and government agencies.
Students admitted into the CFWS program partner with local organizations to strengthen community services and community programs in San Antonio.
Students who participate in community-based federal work study may:
- Develop interest in public service through employment with local non-profit, government, and community-based organizations;
- Apply skills or theories gained through coursework to solve problems or explore issues outside the classroom;
- Enhance career competencies, such as critical thinking, work ethic, teamwork, communication, and leadership;
- Articulate how experiences will inform personal, academic, and professional pursuits.
Apply with Handshake!
- Create or update your Handshake profile.
- Create or update your resume (review the Resume Guide under "Resources" in Handshake or schedule an appointment through CELCS if you would like guidance).
- Search for Community FWS positions on Handshake before the start of each semester by clicking "Jobs" and typing "CFWS" into the search bar.
- Upload your resume to each CFWS position you are interested in.
- Prepare to be invited to a Zoom or phone interview by reviewing the Virtual Interview Guide under "Resources" in Handshake
- Once hired by the CFWS community partner organization, pick up your Federal Work Study (FWS) Employment Agreement from Human Resources. Please note, that prior to the agreement form being issued you will need to complete the I9 and W4 forms. When completing the I9 form, per law, you will be required to attest that you are a citizen or national of the U.S., a lawful permanent resident, or an alien authorized to work. I9 List of Acceptable Documents.
- Take your "approved" FWS Employment Agreement form to the Assistant Director for Service-Learning in CELCS to sign, then return the signed form to Human Resources. Only after your completed form is received will you be set up for Payroll.
Participate in Community FWS
Students who receive federal work study funds through their financial aid award package are eligible to apply for community-based federal work study positions.
After students submit the interest form and resume, CELCS staff will review the documents and then forward to the hiring agency. A representative from the hiring agency will contact you if they're still interviewing candidates for the work study position.
Students in the community-based federal work study program earn $10.00 per hour.
Students are able to work with the same organization for a full academic year (fall and spring) with the option to renew for a second year.
Locations and Transportation
Positions in the program are off campus and at locations such as local nonprofits and schools. Students are responsible for finding their own transportation to their place of work.
Students may visit the Human Resources website for on-campus student employment opportunities.