Learning and Growing as Tigers

ISSS is ready to help you learn and grow at Trinity University. Our office can assist you in maintaining your F-1 status and other immigration matters, and with practical matters related to employment, taxes, and your driver license.

Use the International Student Handbook as your guide throughout your time at Trinity—from your first day on campus until commencement.

 International Student Handbook

Watch more for tips, insights, and information!

 I-Learn Video Series


Immigration Advising 

  • Visa Information
  • Maintaining Status
  • Travel
  • Immigration Documents

Immigration Information 


Employment and Taxes

  • Employment and Career Planning Resources
  • OPT and CPT Information
  • Employer Information
  • Tax Information

Employment Information 


Licenses, IDs, and SSNs

  • Texas State ID or Driver License Information
  • Social Security Number (SSN) Information

ID Information 


Immigration Advising

Visa Information

ISSS advises international students to be aware of information provided by the U.S. government and other entities regarding applying for, maintaining, and updating F-1 nonimmigrant status for current students.

Know the FACTS

Maintaining F-1 nonimmigrant status

Knowing the facts means: being a Full-time student each semester; having Authorization for employment and training; keeping Current documents; obtaining the proper Transition documentation; and Staying in status and staying in touch.

Know the FACTS Agreement More Info

Immigration Documentation

Documenting and certifying your academic progress and financial responsibilities is a required aspect of maintaining a valid F-1 status.

Immigration Attorneys and Legal Information

This information is provided for your convenience, and their services and information should be reviewed carefully. 

Information Reporting

Reporting your information allows ISSS to update your SEVIS record.
It is required by the regulation that you must report any changes to maintain a valid F-1 status.

F-1 Requests and Approvals

Travel signatures, SSN support letter, CPT, OPT, and more.



Employment and Taxes

There are many employment opportunities and career planning resources available for international students… and with those opportunities come tax documentation. Discover the type of employment that’s right for you as an international student.

  •  Read in your International Student Handbook:

    • Employment
    • Managing Your Money
    • Transportation Options

OPT: Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a benefit from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that allows international students in F-1 status to gain off-campus work experience in their field of study before or after completion of studies.


Students in an STEM field may qualify for the STEM OPT extension. This is a 24-month period of temporary training that directly relates to an F-1 student's program of study in an approved STEM field.

CPT: Curricular Practical Training (Internship)

Considering an off-campus internship or employment related to your major course work? Please read through our Curricular Practical Training (CPT) guidelines to review the steps you need to take to receive CPT authorization.

Career Planning Resources 

  • GoingGlobal: Information and resources for international careers and a database that contains state, metro, and US-wide H1B records gathered from the US Department of Labor (DOL), the government agency responsible for all H1B submissions.
  • International Career Exploration

You're Hired!

Businesses and nonprofits across the globe have hired Trinity international students, including...




City of San Antonio


Institute for Economic Development




San Antonio Food Bank


Valero Energy Corporation

Plus more than 100 other companies and organizations that value your international perspectives!

Tax Information

International Student and Scholars tax filing software: Sprintax, Glacier.
ISSS does not endorse these companies. This information is provided for your convenience and their services and fees should be reviewed carefully.



Licenses, IDs, and SSNs


Obtaining a Texas State ID or Driver License

If you will be in the U.S. for more than 30 days and plan to drive a car, you should obtain a Texas driver’s license. Access to a car, knowledge of Texas driving regulations, and testable driving skills are basic requirements for a driver’s license. You must provide your own vehicle when taking the physical (road skills) driving test.

Applying for a Texas driver license or State ID

Visit the Texas Department of Public Safety for more information on applying for a Texas driver license or state ID.​​​


Obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN)

Social Security numbers (SSN) generally are assigned to those authorized to work in the United States and are used to report wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. In order to be qualified to apply for an SSN, you must have a recent offer of employment.

Obtaining an SSN