A Campus Crown Jewel
The Margarite B. Parker Chapel, a mid-century modern architectural gem, is viewed as one of Trinity Architect O’Neil Ford’s most famous designs. It was dedicated in 1966 as a place of Christian worship in the center of the campus and today serves a nondenominational spiritual and cultural hub at Trinity University.
TYING THE KNOT IN A SPECIAL SPOT
Weddings at Parker Chapel
Parker Chapel welcomes all couples wishing to celebrate their marriage with a religious ceremony to consider planning a wedding in its stunning and serene sanctuary, which seats up to 600 people.
Please note that weddings at Parker Chapel are services of worship; practices and music relating to weddings in the chapel are regulated by religious considerations. Those wishing to have civil or non-religious services are asked to find other facilities.
You can request a wedding application from the Chapel Office by calling 210-999-7311 or emailing Nelda Cortez at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once completed, please return your application:
Margarite B. Parker Chapel
One Trinity Place, #73
San Antonio, TX 78212-7200
In order to reserve your wedding date, you must submit your deposit with your application. Upon approval, you will receive a confirmation letter.
Wedding Venue Details
Weddings are held on Saturdays
- from 11 a.m. to noon
- from 3 to 4 p.m.
- from 7 to 8 p.m.
The wedding party will have access to the chapel two hours prior to the service and for one hour after the start of the service, for a total usage period of three hours. Any exceptions to these times will be in effect only after receiving written exception confirmation from the Chapel Office.
Trinity reserves the right to determine the times and uses of the chapel.
Rehearsals are typically scheduled for one hour the Friday before a Saturday wedding, at either 5, 6, 7, or 8 p.m.
The Chapel Office will assign each couple a wedding coordinator, who will be present during the rehearsal and wedding. The coordinator:
- Functions as a Chapel steward
- Communicates and enforces Chapel policy
- Helps coordinate wedding details
- Assists the wedding party and the minister
- Schedules meetings with the marrying couple
- Coordinates the details of the wedding with the couple
The University Chaplain is available to officiate weddings, schedule permitting, although any ordained minister may officiate at the request of the marrying couple.
Parker Chapel asks that all music selections conform to its Wedding Music Guidelines. Please note that electronic or recorded music is not permitted.
Religious Music Requirement
Since weddings in the Chapel are conducted in the presence of God and worship is the primary focus within the wedding ceremony, your music selection should be appropriate to a religious setting. Please leave secular and popular music for your wedding reception.
Feel free to contact the Chapel Office to obtain a list of recommended musical works for your wedding. The music list must be approved by the University Organist and turned in for review at least two weeks prior to the wedding date.
The Parker Chapel Organ
Parker Chapel possesses one of the finest organs in the southwest and a grand piano. The University Organist will play for all the weddings in the Chapel. If the University Organist is unavailable, the Chapel Office will arrange for the services of one of the Chapel's assistant organists. If you desire other arrangements, you must contact the University Organist.
Live Instrumental Music
In addition to music for organ or piano, you may also select music for string or wind instruments (including harp). The marrying couple is responsible for hiring musicians other than the organist, if so desired. Consider contacting the Trinity Music Department to hire top-tier student musicians.
Live Vocal Music
Vocal music of any style (i.e. classical, contemporary Christian, gospel, etc.) is allowed, provided the text sung is sacred in nature. The wedding couple will be responsible for hiring the vocalist(s).
The following items are available at no fee, if desired:
- Two candelabra
- Silk flowers arrangements
- A kneeling bench
The following are items the couple may supply, if desired:
- A unity candle
- Floral arrangements (should you hire a florist, schedule a floral consultation with the Wedding Coordinator)
Please keep in mind that:
- No more than three flower arrangements may be used in the chancel area
- Aisle and pew decorations are not permitted
- Wax candles are not permitted (other than those furnished with the sanctuary)
- No confetti, rice, or flower petals can be thrown in or around the chapel
- The furnishings and liturgical appointments in the chapel may not be moved
- During most of December, the chapel is decorated for the Christmas season
Photographs and Videos
Videos of the wedding may be taken from unobtrusive locations in the chapel. Videos from the balcony provide the best coverage. The videographer should consult with the Wedding Coordinator for details.
Wireless microphones must be tested and checked prior to the wedding to be certain that they do not interfere with the chapel's own wireless microphones.
Please note that during the wedding service, it is not permitted for:
- Photographers and videographers to walk about the chapel
- Flash pictures to be taken
- News crews, reporters, and/or cameras to be present
- Video lights to be illuminated
The wedding couple must purchase mandatory liability insurance to cover the dates of the rehearsal and of the wedding.
- Must be a broad commercial general liability insurance naming Trinity University as an additional insured
- Must cover personal injury and property damage, with a limit of liability not less than $1,000,000 for each occurrence
- May be purchased with EIIA or with your own provider
Proof of insurance is due to the Parker Chapel office six weeks prior to the wedding date.
Smoking and Alcohol
Smoking or alcohol use is not allowed in any area of the chapel.
Refunds will be given, less $50 for administrative costs, for cancellations made at least eight weeks prior to the wedding date. Couples that cancel their wedding less than eight weeks from the wedding date will forfeit the deposit.