Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a student employment program that allows students to earn money by working part-time on campus or for certain off-campus non-profit organizations. The U.S. Department of Education allocates funds annually to Trinity, and the University awards FWS to eligible students as a part of their financial aid package.

An offer of FWS is not a guarantee for employment; it simply represents a potential amount that can be earned through the FWS program. Generally, the award is $2,400 for the academic year. Earning the maximum amount allotted will typically require a student to work 8-10 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. The pay rate for most on-campus jobs is $7.25 per hour. FWS earnings are taxable as wages and must be reported to the IRS if a student is required to file a tax return.

While most need-based aid is credited to the student account, FWS is paid directly to the student bi-weekly based on the number of hours worked each pay period. FWS should not be considered as an anticipated resource towards tuition and charges on the student account. Instead, earnings are most appropriately used to address personal expenses throughout the academic year.

Students who do not qualify for FWS, based on the FAFSA, may consider the opportunity to work through Institutional Work-Study (IWS). IWS functions the same way as FWS with wages being paid by Trinity directly.As with any job, students employed under the FWS and IWS programs must complete federally required employment forms with Human Resources to document that they are legally eligible to work in the United States.

Students are not considered placed and cannot begin working until all documents are approved and the steps above are complete.


I am interested in Student Employment

  • Research available positions on the Human Resources Web site
  • Pick-up your Employment Agreement at the Office of Human Resources at the start of the semester
  • Complete both a W-4 and I-9 Form with the Office of Human Resources
  • Two forms of ORIGINAL identification are needed to complete the I-9 form; the most common documents are a United States passport OR a driver's license AND Social Security Card; faxed copies of documents cannot be accepted
  • Return the FWS Employment Agreement, signed by the supervisor, to the Office of Human Resources